Monday, August 6, 2007

Not for the Faint of Heart

Yes, that is my arm and my blood. This will be my life for the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I've been diagnosed with my second ectopic pregnancy. This time, they gave me a shot (actually two, one in each hip...owie) of methotrexate instead of surgery. I was a good candidate since I was not having any pain as of yet. My last one was in August of last year and I had to have emergency surgery. While I can't say I'm happy about it, I am thankful that this one does not seem like it will require more surgery.

So, I will have to get blood drawn regularly to make sure the medication is working like it's supposed to. The Dr. said it could drag on for as long as 6 weeks.
(and in case you're wondering, yes the nurse did look at me like I'd been hitting the pain pills too hard when I pulled my camera out and told her what I had in mind. But when I explained about the whole blog-thing, she was a good sport)

Oddly enough, it didn't hurt at all while I was taking a picture of it. Usually I don't look while they draw my blood, I look across the room and imagine myself far, far away, while biting the heck out of my lip. But this time, it was not painful at all. I think I'll take a picture every time I am having something medically-painful done. :) But don't worry, I won't share them all here. Only some of them.

11 comments:

Ryan and Shawna said...

Oh Sharon . . . I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I hope that the medication works and that you don't have to have surgery. Love and prayers,
Shawna

Lissa said...

Hugs from me.

Carla said...

Big hug right back at ya! You're in my prayers.

Shana said...

So sorry to hear this sad news. I am praying for you. (((HUGS)))

Pat N Fl said...

I am sending you a hug, sorry about the news.

R.Powers said...

I can relate to photographing almost everything.
I hope all is well soon.

Ampersand said...

Sorry that you are going through this and for your loss. Take good care of yourself!

Sharon said...

Thanks everyone. The good news is that the methotrexate seems to be working, I got good blood results back today. :)

Dianne said...

Ugh. Whatever that is, it doesn't sound good. I hope the meds work and soon. Oh and, when I get blood drawn, I dig my fingernail into my other finger and hurt myself worse than the shot hurts. Did you know you can't hurt yourself worse than you can take? It works and my lip is intact! :)

Ryan and Shawna said...

Sharon, I'm glad to read that the meds are working. I hope things continue to go well with your recovery. Let me know if you need anything. Take care of yourself.

MomOf4 said...

I found your blog from over at Shana's blog. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Glad the meds are working though.