Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mandarin Museum & Historical Society

I had another Dr. appt today, so on the way home I stopped at this local museum. I have driven by many times but never stopped until today. It has exhibits on local history and is very interesting to me, having grown up here. There is also a small gallery showcasing the work of local artists.


This is a model of the Maple Leaf, a Canadian excursion steamer that ended up being used as a Union transport during the Civil War. It was sunken by a confederate mine in the St. John's in April, 1864.
Civil War uniforms:

And this is a chair that was owned by Harriet Beecher Stowe. She had a winter home on the St. Johns.
I will definitely be going back, the museum is located in a park on the St. John's. When I came out, this is what the weather was like, so I didn't get to walk to the river.



2 comments:

Debbie365 said...

Oh well. Maybe next time. I wonder if your neph-in-law knows about that museum?

Pat N Fl said...

I have heard about it and thouht about going but never had. Now I will have to make the effort.