Thursday, October 30, 2008

Miracles Still Happen :)

So how do you go from this...


to pie? Good question! LOL, Mrs. Merle brought us the pumpkin you see above. It's a sugar pumpkin, or Pie pumpkin. It's smaller and sweeter than the ones you usually see carved into Jack-o-lanterns. RJ helped to scoop out the guts and get it ready to cook.
We put it in the oven to roast until it was soft enough to scoop out of the rind.Cooked pumpkin:


Then we had to mash it up and get it ready to combine with the other ingredients that make pumpkin pie so good.
Once we got the filling ready, we had to get the crust ready to fill. I did shortcut, and my daughter said I was cheating by using a Pillsbury ready-to-roll crust. Hey! Martha Stewart I'm not ~ I'm more of your Erma Bombeck type. Just making the filling from scratch is accomplishment enough for me, thankyouverymuch! LOLFilled the crust, and then we put it in the oven and wait.
In the meantime, I tried some of the seeds I had roasted. They have a wonderful flavor, and they're extremely healthy and good for you, but they are like eating raw carrot. You chew and chew and chew and it never goes away! LOL

Voila! We have pie. It looks like pumpkin pie...and it smells like pumpkin pie...but will it taste like it?
Although the texture was a little different than your typical canned-pumpkin pie, it was fantastic, in my humble but most accurate opinion :)
And RJ agreed, and so did everyone else in the house, judging from the almost-empty pie dish.

2 comments:

Pat N Fl said...

Well I assuming it tasted ok when you got home last night. I am proud of you.

Linda said...

You go girl! I'm just so proud of you for even attempting to bake one from scratch.
Happy eating!