Monday, November 19, 2007

Words of Faith and Hope...

...in a cemetery?? :) Yep, it's a revolutionary war and civil war-era cemetery. Gravestones had a lot more to say back then than they do now...

In case Blooger won't let you enlarge the pics, here's what they read:

"Our Father, John W. Stacy. Died July 23rd, 1871 in the 73rd year of his age. A consistent member and for more than 20 years the efficient Clerk of Midway Church" (if only that consistency could be said about all our church members):

"Blessed are the Dead that Die in the Lord":

"Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of His Saints":

"Blessed are the Pure in Heart, for They Shall See God":

And my favorite, "Sacred to the Memory of Oliver Stevens, who was born in Newport, N.H. and died in Greensboro, GA June 16, 1853 in the 71st year of his age. As a man, he was sincere, generous, trustworthy and possessed the esteem and confidence of all. As a Christian, he exemplified the purity, humility and charity of genuine religion. His consistent and useful life had a fitting close in a death marked by the peace and hope of the Gospel. The memory of the just is blessed" I can't think of anything better to be said about a man whose life was evidently well-lived. His family who loved him made sure that a woman walking through this cemetery over 150 years later would know what a fine man and Christian their father was. It really touched me. :)

And then there were a few chuckles as well. Are they in alphabetical, or order of importance, do ya reckon?? ;oP


9 comments:

duopastorale said...

"Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of His Saints", I love that one.

Only 2 wives? How meagre!

Sharon said...

Mike! LOL :)

Andrea said...

I love walking through cemeteries and looking at graves. Thanks for this post.

Kat Mortensen said...

Where I live, we back on to a cemetery. Rather than being fearful as some people seem to be, I love it! I enjoy looking at tombstones and reading about people who have gone before me. Thanks for a great post!
Poetikat

Debbie365 said...

Truly! While there are some that seemed to have lived 70 or so years, there are so many more who only made it to their 30's. Our lifespan has certainly lengthened in these modern times!

Note to Mike: If you were reading these in Utah, the monuments would definitely be taller, and have longer lists! Ha!

dot said...

Interesting post and the stones seem to be more legible than most that are that old.

Carla said...

I love graveyards. My interest in geneology makes them so interesting and my imagination can run wild! You reminded me of some pictures my dad and I took about 8-10 years ago when we visited an old Alabama graveyard where our ancestors were buried so I posted them on my blog.

linda said...

Cemetries are a reminder of how indispensable we really are.

They are nice to walk through as it is not the dead you have to worry about.

Stephanie said...

Wow, very cool. Morbid, but I find old cemetaries quite interesting.