Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mice on Main

I walked around downtown Greenville today, to look for the "Mice on Main"...
A boy named Jimmy Ryan came up with this idea for his Senior project. The idea was inspired by the book "Goodnight Moon". He raised the money and commissioned a local sculptor to cast the little bronze rodents. It started as a temporary "installation", but it was so popular with tourists that they made it permanent. It was pretty cute...this is "Millie"...she's the hardest one to spot. She is hanging out on the edge of a sign overhead.


There are 9 of them, anywhere from on the curb, on some steps leading down to "Coffee Underground"...by the oldest bank, etc.

Very cute, you can read more about it Here

3 comments:

Island Rider said...

How did I miss that you were in Greenville? I went back and read your other posts. I went to school at Furman, so that city is my old stomping ground, but I see from your photos, it has changed a lot. I'll have to make plans to go back and look for those little mice, myself. What a cute idea! I forwarded the story on to our downtown redevelopment agency.

Dirkus said...

What an awsome project! Great shots of the little guys.

Shammickite said...

What a great idea, to have little bronze mice all over the town... love it!