Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kilgore-Lewis House & Gardens

This is a beautiful house that was built in the early 1800's. Mr. Josiah Kilgore built it as a wedding gift for his daughter. I pulled up a little before 10am and walked around taking pics of the exterior, waiting for them to open at 10. As I walked back up the drive, a lovely lady came out the front door to welcome me :) It was Miss Judy Isler, the house manager. She was kind enough to give me the full tour, and I really enjoyed it. I love to visit historical sites like this, but it's SO much better when someone can give you all the information and back-stories on everything. Miss Judy was obviously very into the history and she had a lot of very interesting stories and facts to share. If you're ever in Greenville, it's worth stopping to see.



Of course, this time of year the gardens were pretty bare, but it was still a beautiful place to walk around. I would love to see it in the spring :)

you can see more Here

3 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day! I need to start exploring some local historic sites (I think we have a few)!

Kat

Linda said...

Love visiting old places like this. Someone on the blogs does up to date post on this house or one like it.

Dirkus said...

I love doing this, too. These really evoke the feel of the place--or seem to do so, anyway.