Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ladies who Lunch

Last year we started a new tradition. The week before Christmas, my Mom, Sister and I spend the day together having lunch and then doing whatever comes to our minds. This time, we started with lunch at Mimi's cafe and then walked around a huge outdoor mall here in town.
We got a group shot, using my camera's remote and an improvised tripod. Needless to say, hilarity ensued, with three women trying to pose for a picture and all simultaneously show their best sides...

Then we walked around admiring the Christmas decorations and of course, taking pictures. Until...I was flagged down by a mall rent-a-cop, and we had a little confrontation which included the MOST inane questions. It went something like this:

R.A.C. - are you here with a company taking pictures?
ME - No.
R.A.C. - well, what are you doing?
ME- Uh...taking pictures?
R.A.C. - why?
ME- Because it's what we DO...
R.A.C. - for what PURPOSE?
ME- Uh...because we LIKE to take PICTURES?? It's a hobby, you could say.
R.A.C - Well, I'ma hafta ask you to stop.
ME- that's not legal, if my eye can see it, I can shoot it. (as R.A.C. is on her radio with the chief of all R.A.C.'s saying "yes, I've just made contact with the perpetrators...")
R.A.C. - well, they don't like you taking pictures out here
ME- That's asinine, but we are on our way out anyway, so no problem.

Then she proceeded to stalk us in her little R.A.C.- mobile, while we surreptitiously keep taking quick shots, just to annoy her. hee!!



Yes, we are total scoff-laws, and had Mom's assurances that she would deliver our Christmas dinners to the Duval County Jail if necessary. :)



It was a great day, and a tradition I hope we continue every year. Thanks to my Dad for wrangling RJ while we ran around and had fun :)

You can see the rest of the illegal shots on my Flickr

7 comments:

SophieMae said...

Oh my gosh, you're a perpetrator! LOL! DS and I were hovered over by a fully armed chopper at Huguenot Park a couple years ago, coz we were toting binoculars, scopes and cameras. I reckon they meant business. They backed off when they realized it was just an old lady shooting birds. *whew*

Dianne said...

Oh gosh, this made me laugh!! Yeah you three definitely look threatening.

Linda said...

Maybe that security guard was just having a bad day! I loved all the pictures and the drama along with them. I know you guys had a great time.
I can't wait to go back to the TS and take my camera with me.

Sharon said...

Yep, I'm a perp! LOL. We are such rebels. :oP

Pat N Fl said...

seems to me that Alan had the same proble last year at the Christmas Tree lighting there. Can't wait to take my camera over there. Thaank for the story.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

That is unbelievable! What next? LOL

Kim said...

ahh, i love it...i think eventually they will blame us recreational photogs for them missing out on catching the real criminals. I take pics there all the time, but usually it's just me and i am discreet, but i have been stopped a couple times. great shots, btw!